American City-States?

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
bandk1

American City-States?

Postby bandk1 » 25 Aug 2014 03:24

I got to thinking that Congressional representation in the USA is pretty un-equal. There are at least 30 cities with a larger population than the entire state of Wyoming but they have to share Senators and Representatives with the rest of the state. In a huge and highly unlikely "what if"...what if the largest metropolitan areas of the country became their own states in an effort for better representation? Would they use the flag of the city (i.e - New York metropolitan statistical area uses the flag of NYC)? Would an entirely new design be rendered for these new states? If you think new designs would be in order, it would be great to see some designs from the top 40 or 50 me 50 metropolitan statistical areas in the USA.

Meiriongwril

Re: American City-States?

Postby Meiriongwril » 28 Aug 2014 17:48

I think they'd all choose blue bedsheets with indecipherable seals on them ..... ;)

bandk1

Postby bandk1 » 29 Aug 2014 22:13

God I hope not.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 18 Aug 2015 19:53

My thoughts for the DMV, USA.
I am a native of the DMV. I grew up in Fairfax County, VA, have worked in DC for 17 years, and lived in Maryland for the last 11+. Here is my thought on a combined DC/MD/VA (or the DMV as we call it). This essentially incorporates a re-design for VA I came up with a few years ago, but never rendered digitally. (The colors on the VA flag and the center would be slightly different.)
The two vertical red stripes in each quarter represent DC.
The three divisions represents the 3 stars and the 3 regions.
The Quarterly division represents the four quadrants of DC,
The dogwood flower section represents Virginia (the cartiods on the flowers has a reference to "Virginia is for Lovers")
The yellow in the center of the flower is Maryland's yellow.
The design of the flag as a whole represents Maryland.
The red is a blending of the shades of Maryland and DC's reds.
DMV-idea2-colorfix-2015.PNG

Comments welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Americas”