Canadian flags at Garden of the Provinces

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
Leonardo Piccioni

Canadian flags at Garden of the Provinces

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 18 May 2013 18:17

The Garden of the Provinces is located on Ottawa, officially open in 1962 (it was renamed "Garden of the Provinces and Territories" in 2005).

Flags were flown there from the inauguration to the 1970s, although every province or territory had adopted its own flag until the end of the 1960s (with the exception of Nova Scotia), and four provinces were widely using flags before 1962: British Columbia, Newfoundland (using the Union Flag), Nova Scotia and Quebec.

The flags had the following pattern: province/territory coat of arms on a colored field.

garden-of-provinces.png

First row: Alberta (dark blue), British Columbia (dark blue), Manitoba (red).
Second row: New Brunswick (white), Newfoundland (dark blue), Northwest Territories (yellow).
Third row: Nova Scotia (red), Ontario (yellow), Prince Edward Island (green).
Fourth row: Quebec (white), Saskatchewan (white), Yukon (yellow).
*Nunavut didn't exist at the time

The biggest legacy of those unofficial flags is the current flag of Alberta, identical to the flag that was used on the Garden of the Provinces.

Source: http://fraser.cc/FlagsCan/Provinces/Provinces.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Vega

Re: Canadian flags at Garden of the Provinces

Postby Vega » 02 Oct 2015 02:36

I know this is an old post, but, since you're still active on here, I thought I should ask if you have these flags in any larger, individual, formats? They're really simplistic (in a good way) and uniform.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Canadian flags at Garden of the Provinces

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 15 Nov 2015 16:11

I guess I don't have them anymore. But I'll try to re-do and upload them in next days, if I find time.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Return to “Americas”