Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
John in Tronna

Re: Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Postby John in Tronna » 11 May 2013 08:27

I have a love/hate relationship with my provincial flag. At times I like it, other times I have referred to it as a "refugee from a geometry set".

The pink-white-green tricolour is problematic in that it has very little support off the Avalon Peninsula. It's mostly used in tongue-in-cheek fashion, and seems to be popular among stuff aimed at tourists and drinkers.

I actually really, really like the Labrador flag. I kind of wish they had adopted it (with Labrador's blessing, of course) for the whole province.

And if you think that Aussies and Kiwis have identity crises because their flags have the Union Jack in the canton -- heck, our official flag was the Union Jack, undifferenced.

I like Nordic flags in general, and although I don't think they're quite à propos for NL, as long as we're indulging ourselves here...the purple should more properly be blue, as in blueberry -- the berries they found at L'Anse aux Meadows, which were probably fermented by the Norse -- too cold for "real" grapes here, and what the sagas mention are vínber, literally wine-berries, and per Almighty Wikipedia, an alternate English name for blueberry is whinberry or winberry.

Of course, blueberries aren't always blue. When they're green, they're red. 8-)

John in Tronna

Postby John in Tronna » 11 May 2013 08:29

My only humble suggestion for an alternate NL flag would be a banner of arms.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 11 May 2013 08:55

The banner of arms is a good idea, but I think the chains are a little suffocating... with free beasts, OK!

My suggestion:

terra-nova-e-labrador1.png

The first half refers to Scottish settlers, although the design overall resembles Union Jack. Superior right quarter to Labrador (geographic reasons only) and inferior right to Newfoundland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 11 May 2013 14:53

Why a special mention for Scottish settlers? Newfoundland was an English colony, settled first and primarily by the English. Descendants of English settlers remain by far the largest demographic group, followed by Irish, and Scottish in third place with only 6%.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 11 May 2013 16:18

Then simply repeat the fly colours at the hoist to remove the Scottish influence?

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 11 May 2013 18:59

A source stated that those territories were part of Scottish colonies in American continent, but it seems incorrect now. However, the hoist is still a simplified Union Jack, why to change?
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 13 May 2013 04:53

For illustrative purposes, the Newfoundland and Labrador banner of arms (as proposed by John):

NL_BannerOfArms.png

Sorry, but it's the best I could provide. I took the liberty of removing the chains.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 13 May 2013 05:12

2:3 ratio, filling all the space:

NL_BannerOfArms-2for3.png

FallsDownLaughing

Postby FallsDownLaughing » 10 Oct 2013 14:41

Philip S. Tibbetts, I really like your ideas... thoroughly.

John in Tronna, you make quite an excellent point... with the winberry bit, too... although, blueberries ARE purple, but with the thin film of dew, look blue... wipe a finger across to remove the dew, and you see the purple lol (At least, the ones we have down east in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont - but that same Wikipedia entry mentions, if I remember correctly, that the winberries *might* refer to currants, however.)

BUT! I also like that the purple resembles the colour of wampum (which can be/is also represented in/with blue), as does the white, for the other wampum colour.

I like that Vinland, Markland (sp?) and Helluland have both Norse and Native American roots. Mostly because I do as well. I'm Blackfoot/Mohawk-Cree (with Mi'Kmaq and Winnebago from another branch of the family tree), with most of the Cree/Oji-Cree in my family coming through past relatives in the Prince Edward Island area and areas north of that... but I also have Norwegian blood from my great grandmother, who was from Newfoundland. So I'm kinda biased.

Now, I'm just a mite ignorant here, so do please forgive it some if you will, but... someone a page or so back in this thread was mentioning the Norse history being somewhat of a non-issue? Is this true? Are there no decendants at all from settlers of old whatsoever? Is the Norwegian blood from my Newfoundland great grandmother from a far more recent import of Norse individuals?

Yeah, see? Told ya I was ign'ant lol try not to laugh too hard hehe... but yeah, I really wonder about that there last question. Anyone out there have an answer?

tbrminsanity

Postby tbrminsanity » 30 Aug 2016 00:55

Here are my designs for Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario

Alberta
This flag pulls directly from the crest of the Alberta Crest and represents the three major landscapes of the province. The blue sky uses "Conservative" blue to represent their long history as a Conservative province. I have a simpler version of this flag that is a simple horizontal tri-colour of White, Green, and Yellow.

Manitoba
The flag represents the green forests of the north, the prairies of the south, and the Red River that cuts through the province and helps define the culture of the people that live there. The Bison has always been a strong symbol of Manitoba and as such I felt is must always be represented on their flag.

Ontario
Ontario was founded by the Loyalists, and as such, I felt it must be represented prominently on their flag. The white trillium is a highly recognizable symbol of Ontario and thus I have it defacing the Loyalists' flag.

Return to “Americas”