Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
Philip S. Tibbetts

Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 21 Mar 2013 20:12

Following my contributions to Leonardo's North American wikia http://vexillology.wikia.com/wiki/Vexillology_Wiki I thought I might as well not stop at the poor US state flags but I might as well have a crack at some of the Canadian ones (which on the whole aren't as bad as most US state flags to be fair) whilst I was having fun.

Rather than post my resulting designs in VoronX's near legendary thread http://www.flagsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1245 I thought it would be worthwhile to set up an unique thread for Canada. I am aware of province specific threads elsewhere in the forum (http://www.flagsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1866) but as I'll be posting a number it made more sense to create one all encompassing thread than set up a number of threads for provinces yet to have one.

With that intro out the way I'll present my first batch of Canadian designs in the second post

Philip S. Tibbetts

Re: Fixing the Bad Canadian Province (and Territory) Flags

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 21 Mar 2013 20:20

Alberta

The golden field recalls the prairies and wheat cultivation that is featured in the province’s coat of arms. A canton recalls those that appeared in the label of the arms of Princess Louise Caroline Alberta after whom the province was named, though here coloured blue that along with the golden field is a provincial colour. The rose that also featured on her heraldic label is placed on the golden field to represent the ‘prairie rose’ that is Alberta’s official flower. In the canton is charged a long horn sheep, the provincial animal, and symbol of the rocky mountains.

British Colombia

The field is a series of blue and white wavy lines, representing the Pacific Ocean. Setting into the lower most wavy is a half-sun. The lowest wavy line is coloured red to denote the heraldic colour of Britain.

Manitoba

The pattern of horizontal lines recall water waves, however here they are depicted as straight rather than wavy to denote the ‘straits’ of Lake Manitoba that are the origin of the Lake’s, and thus the province’s, name. In the centre of the design is charged the gold Bison that is the emblem of Manitoba, placed on a green background as it is on the provincial coat of arm. A gold hoop divides the central green hoop from the outer deep red hoops. The red colour here serves to denote the ‘Red River Colony’ that went on to become Manitoba, whilst the deep rad shade is taken from the University of Manitoba

New Brunswick

The design is based on the blue and yellow horizontal bi-colour of the original duchy of Brunswick. Here however the colours are reversed to reflect the ‘new’ status of the territory and to match the field of the province’s coat of arms. In the upper yellow portion is charged a black sailing ship, further reflecting New Brunswick’s coat of arms which were in tern drawn from the original colony seal.

Northwest Territories

The design is composed of a quartered field. In the upper hoist quarter is charged a polar bear passant on blue which is the territorial symbol and features on the government emblem. The placement in the upper hoist quarter plays on the theme of the north west. The rest of the design is counter-changed accordingly.

Nova Scotia

The design simply features the St Andrew’s saltire of Scotland with the colours reversed to denote the ‘new’ status of the province.

Nunavut

This seems the provincial symbol, Inuksuk, counter-changed blue and gold over a vertical field division, representing the riches of land, sea and sky.

Ontario

The vertical bicolour recalls the construction of the Franco-Ontarian flag, though here only focusses on Ontarian symbolism. The official colours of Ontario, green and gold, are used in the two halves of the field. The white trillium, the provincial flower depicted here in traditional style, is placed on the hoist side to recall the provinces origins as ‘Canada West’.

Prince Edward Island

The two red chevrons on gold are taken from the arms of the Earl of Strathearn in Scotland, whose Duchy was held by Prince Edward for whom the province is named. Placed, two up and one down, around the chevrons are three green acorns. These acorns represent the three small trees on the provincial coat of arms, which in turn denote the three counties of the province.
Last edited by Philip S. Tibbetts on 21 Mar 2013 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 21 Mar 2013 20:25

Further to these I've definitely got ideas for Saskatchewan and Yukon but need to draw up charges in each case.

Quebec is perfect as it is so I've left that one alone. I don't think I'll do Newfoundland and Labrador, partially as it is an ok flag but mainly because I'd prefer to do individual flags for Newfoundland and Labrador but they both have decent popular flags already.

Nunavut is quite a good flag I agree with Peter Orenski of NAVA that it falls just short of greatness (hence why I've attempted a proposal here) http://www.tmealf.com/nunavut.htm Perhaps the North Star could be re-added to my idea though - a suggestion already raised to me by Leonardo - maybe immediately above the Inuksuk and similarly counter-changed?

Leonardo has also mentioned the similarity of the Nova Scotia flag with the Russian naval jack (something I actively ignored but worthy of debate). Plus he has rooted out a prairie rose for Alberta in that provinces francophone flag - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Flag_of_the_Franco_Albertains.svg/200px-Flag_of_the_Franco_Albertains.svg.png - so I may update my art work in due course

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 22 Mar 2013 00:38

I like all of these. They are all excellent. The ship on the New Brunswick flag is rather detailed and might be a little simplified but the arrangement and symbolism is fine. I probably prefer my own version of the Ontario trilium, on another thread but it's not far removed from this. I dislike the official provinicial flag of Newfoundland and Labrador, it looks half-finished to me and smacks very much of a graphic artist engaging in vexillography...always a bad idea! The popular flags of each portion of the province that Philip refers to, for Labrador and the island of Newfoundland, are far more acceptable.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 23 Mar 2013 21:18

For illustrative purposes, the Labrador and the Newfoundland regional flags, respectively:
Image Image

Philip's rationale to his Alberta flag gave me an idea, but I'm not fully satisfied with the result:
alberta.png

The wheat fields are represented by three ears. Green color for the prairie, blue remembering the landscape of the Rocky Mountains. The label is based on Duchess of Argyll's one, but with mirrored points and a prairie rose instead of a common heraldic rose.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 23 Mar 2013 22:33

I'n not too keen on the use of labels on flags, though I do like much of the symbolism in your Alberta ideas - perhaps the ideas within the labels could be used more in the main body of the flag.

Your wheat looks good, though one other option that occurs to me would be to use the wheat field division that appears on the Finchfield flag maybe?

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 23 Mar 2013 23:21

Something like this?

alberta1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 24 Mar 2013 18:03

That certainly looks better - though it makes me tempted to say that the gold and green should be swapped so that the rose can be placed on gold. In turn that makes me think of having a blue, gold and green horizontal tricolour with the rose in the centre though that would make a better flag it may require some tweaking of the meaning behind it.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 25 Mar 2013 04:42

That's the best that I can keeping the colors symbolism. Number three (of roses) has no symbolism (it simply looked better than one and two on the tests) and the flowers on yellow (that should be for wheat) could be a little non-sense, except if you interpret them as settled on different layers.

alberta2.png

The Alberta coat of arms, for comparison:

Curiously, my previous proposal is very similar to the arms of Alberta Party. Although Albertan secessionism is, in Canada, second only to Quebec, this party seems to be neutral about it.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 26 Mar 2013 21:26

Perhaps a simple blue, green, yellow tri-colour might be an appropriate proposal then. I have to admit that I, personally, don't really think that green and blue contrast enough to be used next to each other (since they are next to each other on a colour wheel) but it has been done before (Petersfield comes to mind) so should be possible if the shades are chosen carefully.

Return to “Americas”