Alternative Ontario Flag (proposals)

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
Leonardo Piccioni

Re: Alternative Ontario Flag (proposals)

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 18 Aug 2012 21:32

Paul James, might it make you change your opinion? It's a different model of trillium, based in a nature trillium.

trillium.png

Apparently, all trillium use to have six or seven anthers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 18 Aug 2012 21:38

Based on it, I made a design.

ontario3.png

Argent over or isn't heraldically recommended, if you note them this way, although I'm very satisfied with the result as a whole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 19 Aug 2012 09:09

Yes, that's nice. But I would find an alternative to breaking the heraldic rule : white on yellow doesn't work, in my opinion. Perhaps the entire trillium should be green.

And is it better this way round, or flipped upside down?

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 19 Aug 2012 20:44

PaulJames wrote:white on yellow doesn't work, in my opinion. Perhaps the entire trillium should be green.

I agree on this one

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 19 Aug 2012 22:01

OK. I see three options on horizon:

1. Trillium fully green. Positive point: more "Canadian pale"-ish.
ontario6.png

2. Trillium with green outline and white fill. Positive point: More natural.
ontario4.png

3. Trillium with green outline, without fill. Positive point: Between the two before.
ontario5.png

The outline could be bolder, but my image edition tool can't do that don't collapsing the flower.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 20 Aug 2012 22:51

All three work for me but the one at the top and the one at the bottom work way better. The green boarder on the middle one certainly makes the white stand out, but I am not sure if green,white and gold work well together. But as you said if you could make outline bolder perhaps it would work better.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 21 Aug 2012 13:18

I prefer 1 and 2, but with a stronger border on 2. I can't make up my mind between them.

TheMapShop

Postby TheMapShop » 28 Aug 2012 22:36

I like the color scheme and symbols of the original flag, but I think what some people are getting at with their "alternate" designs is that both symbols arranged like that don't really seem appealing to the eye. Personally I'm a fan of a blended approach. What about keeping the flag as you have it but somehow combining the maple leaf and trinity symbol together...possibly one more bold, with the trinity faded slightly in the background? Even if the images were enlarged to make it stand out...just a thought

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 29 Aug 2012 19:45

I couldn't do what you suggested, with success, yet. But, however, if you want a maple revival, what do you think about it?

ontario7.png

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 31 Aug 2012 03:22

TheMapShop, if you want something very modern, come and get it! Else, combining a trillium and a maple can be a little frustrating. The yellow degradé is just a stylization, but be sure it doesn't change too much the result:

ontario8.png

Return to “Americas”