Alternative Ontario Flag (proposals)

Discussions on flags used in the Americas (South America, Central America, the Caribbean and North America)
TheNewTeddy

Alternative Ontario Flag (proposals)

Postby TheNewTeddy » 06 May 2012 10:22

When Canada adopted it's current maple leaf flag Federally, some provinces, in particular Ontario and Manitoba, made minor changes to the old national flag and made it their provincial flag.

I live in Ontario and think it's time we came up with our own unique flag for this province. I am a huge fan of simple designs. My personal opinion is that the more complex the flag is, the worse it is, save for repeating designs like Bavaria or even Maryland.

My currently most favoured proposal is this
It takes the 3-maple leaf design, that is our official historical symbol, and the trillium, which is our modern unofficial symbol, and uses our two official colours, gold and green.

I'd like to get some feedback on this idea, and perhaps, spark discussion and get proposals from others as well.
~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

vexilo

Re: Alternative Ontario Flag (proposals)

Postby vexilo » 06 May 2012 11:35

Obviously I admire the notion of simplicty and I accept the relevance of the symbols that you present. I was unaware of the colour scheme - why are these your "official" colours? Essentially I think you are on the right track but I do think that it might be preferable to settle on one or the other of these two symbols, as having both appear on the flag I feel tends to mitigate the impact of each. Alternatively I think a clever combination of the two might also be a viable option but appearing as they do I think just lends the flag a rather imbalanced or unfocussed look.

TheNewTeddy

Postby TheNewTeddy » 06 May 2012 18:41

Apparently...
Coat-of-Arms of Ontario
The Coat-of-Arms of the Province consists of a green shield with three golden maple leaves surmounted by the Banner of St. George, a red cross on a silver background. The banner indicates Ontario's close ties with Britain, while green and gold are Ontario's official colours; green symbolizes the land. Above the shield is a bear, with a moose and a deer supporting the shield; all representing the rich animal life of Ontario. The Latin motto is translated as "Loyal She Began, Loyal She Remains." The shield was granted by Royal Warrant of Queen Victoria in 1868, and the crest, supporters and motto by Royal Warrant of King Edward VII in 1909.
http://in.ontariotravel.net/traveltips/ ... tario.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Ontario

For reference, the current flag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ontario
~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 06 May 2012 22:08

I like the green and gold I think they work together very well. I have kept close to the scheme of your flag although I have based it more on an Ontario version of the current Canadian flag. I agree on using either one or the other of the two symbols but it might be good if they can be combined in some way but I couldn't think of a way that I thought looked any good. My first design features the shield of the coat of arms, and I moved on from there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheNewTeddy

Postby TheNewTeddy » 07 May 2012 05:17

I don't like coats of arms on flags. The 3rd is awesome.
~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 07 May 2012 20:43

Is it possible to turn the trillium upside-down or does it have to be the way up it is on you'r flag?

TheNewTeddy

Postby TheNewTeddy » 07 May 2012 21:58

You can. It's based on the former official government logo
Which in current, points to the right.
~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

henryk

Postby henryk » 09 May 2012 18:49

TheNewTeddy wrote:Apparently...
Coat-of-Arms of Ontario
The Coat-of-Arms of the Province consists of a green shield with three golden maple leaves surmounted by the Banner of St. George, a red cross on a silver background. The banner indicates Ontario's close ties with Britain, while green and gold are Ontario's official colours; green symbolizes the land.

A hopeless cause to change the flag. Even the highway signs have a crown. I like the trillium on the flag, but it must be white, as the official flower is.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 09 May 2012 20:21

What do the guys think about my proposal below?

ontario.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

TheNewTeddy

Postby TheNewTeddy » 09 May 2012 21:01

Oh god no, please god no. Once someone else gets elected that stupid logo is going out the window, I'm almost 100% certain. Ontario used the same logo, with minor variations, for decades. This new crappy one will not last.
~Nick J "Teddy" Boragina

Return to “Americas”