New User - Copyright

Discussions on military insignia (for example squadron emblems).
Hussar100

New User - Copyright

Postby Hussar100 » 24 Jul 2013 13:43

Hi, I'm a new user, ex military and Wikipedian. I came across the site when looking for British military cap badges.

I was wondering what the position was on copyright with the images of cap badges on the site. Would I be able to use any of them on Wikipedia?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: New User - Copyright

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 25 Jul 2013 19:02

The most of the images of the forum is took from other sites and shared under fair use, so it all depends of the source.

If it's original work by Crown officials, see it. If it was made by own forum members or other person, you should ask the author about whether the work is in public domain.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 19 Dec 2013 01:19

I would agree with Leonardo, although judging by the everyday nature and the abundance of images floating around the internet, I don't think you have to worry too much about anyone coming after you for using an image of a cap badge. Personally I think if you upload something online then you should expect it to be downloaded and re-uploaded in some way. From a personal point I always quote the source of the image if I am not sure about it that way you can't be seen as claiming copyright.
On the subject of cap badges, my family has a bit of a military tradition and I was an Army Cadet so I have a few old ones lying about, you can use them if you like:
195826_164889203566243_2390408_n.jpg

Royal Irish Rangers

206577_164889230232907_3787176_n.jpg

London Irish Rifles

205502_164889243566239_4693452_n.jpg

Irish Guards (apologise for the poor quality of the picture, I no longer poses this one and this is the best pic I have)

Royal Scots.jpg

The Royal Scots (I am told this one is WW1 vintage)

and its not exactly military but I came across this one day and had to have it:
198942_164889253566238_2966176_n.jpg

Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service
I hope you find this helpful
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 21 Dec 2013 10:25

Sammy wrote:I would agree with Leonardo, although judging by the everyday nature and the abundance of images floating around the internet, I don't think you have to worry too much about anyone coming after you for using an image of a cap badge. Personally I think if you upload something online then you should expect it to be downloaded and re-uploaded in some way.

I think some places, e.g. the BBC and some magazines, will act if they find their images being re-used. Whatever one might realistically expect to happen, you are entitled to a legal expectation that your images will not be used in breach of copyright.

From a personal point I always quote the source of the image if I am not sure about it that way you can't be seen as claiming copyright.

I've seen a lot of confusion about this over the years : citing the source in no way absolves you of copyright obligations. Copyright is about not reproducing a work without permission, regardless of whether you cite the source, and regardless of whether you're trying to claim it as your own (claiming it as your own work is plagiarism, which isn't the same as copyright violation).

Unfortunately, fair use/fair dealing laws are somewhat vague and differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction (e.g. American fair use is more liberal that British fair dealing). So if I, living in Britain, take an image from a German website and post in on an American-hosted forum, which copyright jurisdiction applies? :?

Return to “Military Insignia”