Need help identifying an embroidered patch

Discussions on military insignia (for example squadron emblems).
ALKS

Need help identifying an embroidered patch

Postby ALKS » 19 Oct 2011 04:01

Hi everyone,

I am new here so I hope I am posting in the right section because I am not a 100% sure that this embroidered patch is a military one, I had to guess from it. :)

I have been spending a few weeks now trying to identify by all possible means what this was. I googled many descriptions without finding anything that even came close so I figured I might as well ask somewhere people might know better than I do.

It seemed to me like it has a hand holding a red flower on it, if anyone has any clue on what it is or could possibly be I'd be really grateful.

Thanks for looking !

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff

Re: Need help identifying an embroidered patch

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 22 Oct 2011 10:36

You don't have any better pictures?, I find it a bit difficult to make the whole design out.

Armiger

Postby Armiger » 23 Oct 2011 08:05

My guess is that this is a screen capture from a film, so we shan't have any better pictures. The man with the patch appears to have several badges on his jacket and one on his baseball cap. I surmise that he is an American, probably a hunter. The chances are that he is ex-military, so I would look first at US military formations, starting at divisional level.
Chris Green

Armiger

Postby Armiger » 23 Oct 2011 09:24

After some research and further thought, I conclude that the reverse is more likely. It is more likely to be an anti-war symbol on the lines of peace activists putting flowers in the barrels of rifles. The problem with that is that peace activists are largely unorganised, so there won't be a helpful poster with pictures of all their "divisional patches".

The search continues ....
Chris Green

ALKS

Postby ALKS » 24 Oct 2011 10:52

Thanks for the answers.
It's screencaptures yes, I have a bluray version of the movie so I could try to flesh some higher resolution shots out, though since the movie is old (1987) I can't be sure it would be any better. After doing a lot of research I stopped thinking there was any logic to what appears to be on this jacket : There is an ambulance and a red cross patch on the side of the sleeve, a King's crown police badge on the chest (Uk) , a Flying tigers badge (chinese air force), an american firefighter officer badge ... I don't even know how I've been able to go that far in positively IDing everything. So I figured with a bit of luck somebody who has seen this before would recognise it.
The movie is 1987 so at least it can't be something more recent, the character is a vampire. I believe at the time the jacket was probably randomly made up by the costume department or else found at a second hand store in Texas where the movie was shot.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 10 Nov 2011 20:06

Well it appears to be an arm coming from the edge of the Shield and holding something in the hand. It could maybe be a US Navy Ship's Patch.

APS221

Postby APS221 » 17 Feb 2012 05:45

It does not look like any U.S. military insignia. It looks like a family crest/coat of arms. You can see it has a knight's helmet on the top. A bent arm, which may or may not be vambraced, holding a flower is something you would find on a coat of arms.

I'm not sure why you mention that it's from a 1987 vampire movie, but don't come out and say it's the motorcycle jacket worn by Severen (played by Bill Paxton) in the film "Near Dark."

You can see what I mean in this image:

Mike82

Postby Mike82 » 14 May 2013 14:30

In my opinion this is a US Navy Ship's Patch - but maybe i'm wrong. Maybe try ask some embroidered patch company?
Few weeks ago i bought quite similar patch here: http://www.embroline.com

Meinsauer

Postby Meinsauer » 15 May 2013 08:32

This link:

http://www.yourprops.com/Severen-s-Bill ... 58498.html

shows the one further up on his shoulder, but not the one on the cuff. Looks like a made-for-hollywood item.

EDIT: URL did not copy quite right. Go to the thumbnails below the picture and click on the second one for a better view.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 15 May 2013 19:33

Now seeing it more clearly I think it is some Bucket Shop Family Name Arms just added by the Film Crew to make the Jacket look "cool".

Return to “Military Insignia”