Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in it

Discussions on flags used in Africa.
pmdci

Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in it

Postby pmdci » 03 Jun 2014 11:38

Hello,

This is my first post at this forum, so please be gentle :P

I developed a peculiar interest in flags when I was four years old, which was encouraged by my father. Back then I used to draw flags on a notebook my father gave me and I would often copy them from publications that my dad used to get for me such as books about countries, sticker albums about flags, etc.

Anyway I found one of those notebooks recently along with a laminated sheet of flags which have been taken from some sort of magazine. In this laminated sheet there is a flag of Gaddafi's Libya (the all-green one) -- except that at the top-middle of the flag there is a golden Eagle of Saladin. In fact, this is the exact same eagle that used to be in the Federation of Arab Republics (the all-gold eagle with the solid gold shield).

At first I thought this was a Gadaffi's Presidential Flag of some sort. However I had a look around the internet and I never found such flag. I thought this could be some sort of print mistake, but it looks to elaborate to be a mistake.

I'm at a total loss here. Has anyone ever seen such flag before? I'm baffled!

Regards,
P.
I like to think of myself as a vexillologist but my wife just calls me special.

Tyskaorden2
Forum Staff

Re: Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in

Postby Tyskaorden2 » 06 Jun 2014 14:32

Yes I remember seeing such a flag in some Book, way back in time. But unfortunately I can remember the meaning of it. Will conduct a search to see if I can come up with the Book.

pmdci

Re: Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the Eagle of Saladin in

Postby pmdci » 06 Jun 2014 16:51

Good do know that I am not going mad!

pmdci

Re: Bizarre: Green Libyan flag with the HAWK OF QUARISH

Postby pmdci » 08 Jun 2014 14:09

Just a quick correction.

What I saw in the green Libyan flag was the HAWK OF QUARISH, not the EAGLE OF SALADIN.

Here is the exact hawk I saw. I remember it clearly due to the solid gold shield: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawk_of_Qu ... ublics.svg

Again, the hawk would be at the top centre of the flag (not exactly in the middle).

Return to “Africa”