St Helena, Ascension & Tristan da Cunha

Discussions on flags used in Africa.
Meiriongwril

St Helena, Ascension & Tristan da Cunha

Postby Meiriongwril » 12 Mar 2013 14:19

Since 2009 this British overseas territory has officially had 3 equal parts: St Helena, Ascension, and Tristan Da Cunha. As we know, St Helena and Tristan have flags, and Ascension's proposal will no doubt be officially approved eventually.
When the territory was St Helena and dependencies, one could take the St Helena flag as the superordinate, but now all parts are equal, the territory as a whole seems to lack a flag.
Any suggestions for a superordinate flag for the whole territory? Two points: 1. it must have the union flag in the canton; 2. there is no badge/arms for the whole territory now (assuming the St Helena arms now apply just to that island).
Within these limits let's see some imaginative proposals!! :)

Leonardo Piccioni

Re: St Helena, Ascension & Tristan da Cunha

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 12 Mar 2013 20:48

Just a very early draft:
santa-helena.png

The Portuguese ship represents the fact that the Saint Helena, Tristan da Cunha and Ascension were all discovered in name of Portuguese crown. The Latin cross represent the fact that St. Helen of Constantinople is referred as who discovered the "True Cross", the cross where Christ was crucified. It's red in a reference to English flag.

I thought about putting three stars. What do you think about?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

APS221

Postby APS221 » 13 Mar 2013 03:44

You could create a coat-of-arms that combines elements from the three coats-of-arms, like on the old Canadian Flag.

Meiriongwril

Postby Meiriongwril » 13 Mar 2013 14:02

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:Just a very early draft:
santa-helena.png

The Portuguese ship represents the fact that the Saint Helena, Tristan da Cunha and Ascension were all discovered in name of Portuguese crown. The Latin cross represent the fact that St. Helen of Constantinople is referred as who discovered the "True Cross", the cross where Christ was crucified. It's red in a reference to English flag.

I thought about putting three stars. What do you think about?

Nice! 3 stars could be an added good touch.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 12 Apr 2013 22:05

First I thought of using part of the individual coat of arms for each island on the arms for the new flag. The bird is for Saint Helena, the tortoise for Ascension Island and the blue and white diamond for Tristan da Cunha. The three stars are for the three islands.
I like the idea of the Portuguese cross so I added it to the chief of the arms on the next proposal. I defaced it with an anchor because I felt this added to it and an anchor seemed appropriate.
I used sea shells to represent the individual islands, because I wanted something more creative than stars. Ships are evident on the arms of all three islands and Leonardo's design, so the islands clearly have large maritime links and a relationship with the sea. I thought a naval crown would be a better way to demonstrate this from a heraldry point of view. It also represents the islands use as bases for the allies during World War 2. The colours of red, white, blue, green and gold comes from the individual arms of the islands.
The third design does break the condition of a Union Flag in the canton, but I don't think its really needed, when you look at territories like Gibraltar, and as it is almost the same as the ensign design I thought I'd add it anyway. The only major difference being the crown moved above the anchor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 13 Apr 2013 05:29

The first Sammy's proposal is predictable, what would eventually work. But the second, wow, I liked very much. A brilliant piece of heraldry!

I don't know if a naval crown can be used this way, and I'd remove the anchor, as it's yet very difficult to be saw on white background, but really amazing work.

About the banner of arms-like flag, I might arrange the elements in a different way, I think.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 13 Apr 2013 16:18

Leonardo Piccioni wrote:I don't know if a naval crown can be used this way, and I'd remove the anchor, as it's yet very difficult to be saw on white background, but really amazing work.

The naval crown is more common in badges for ships, shore bases and air squadrons in the British, Canadian and Australian navies, however it is used in the crest of the Tristan da Cunha coat of arms so I think it can be used. However taking your concerns into account, I replaced the naval crown with the anchor as this symbolises the same thing.
I also had ago at a complete set of arms. The crest has the ship of the Ascension crest and the naval crown of Tristan da Cunha. The supporters are from Tristan da Cunha and Ascension coat of arms. The motto "Our Faith makes us Unshakable" is origional but has element of the Tristan da Cunha (Our Faith) and St Helena (Unshakable) mottoes.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 13 Apr 2013 16:26

I'm saying because I searched and couldn't find any blazon with a naval crown inside the shield. Good point about the motto :lol:.

Edionocrat2000

Postby Edionocrat2000 » 27 Nov 2014 03:44

I like it. I know this sounds generic, but there isn't much to complain here. The third one has to be my favorite. The shells and bicolor are very memorable and I wouldn't mind if this took up the whole flag.

Hans L.

Postby Hans L. » 26 Mar 2015 17:10

Without having seen any other proposals, I made something similar to Sam's first proposal back in September 2013. It includes a shield that marshalls the shields of each island per pall (per pall reversed in this newer version):

SHt4.png

The above proposals for a completely new arms design are nice too. I agree though that there shouldn't be a requirement for each flag to use the British ensign format; blue-ensign-with-arms flags are often overly complex and are hardly distinguishable. Here is a minimalist newer proposal:

SHXv.png

Consisting of three stripes and an equilateral triangle for the three territories, this flag combines the designs of the three shields, minus the details (the yellow and blue stripes of Saint Helena, the blue and white stripes of Tristan, and the blue and white stripes with green chevron of Ascension).

Return to “Africa”