New Northern Ireland Flag

Discussions on flags used in Europe.
Sammy

Re: New Northern Ireland Flag

Postby Sammy » 02 Sep 2012 22:52

I agree completely but I think anything that resembles the British flag would be a step to far for nationalists, but I think compramise might be possible with the star. :) (of course you will get the extreme people from both communities who will reject everything outright) you possibly are right about the harps to be honest in practice I don't think very many people notice the difference. I have noticed the Brian Boru harp on a version of the Royal Standard before so heraldically speaking being one in the same makes sense.

I have never come across a red hand on a plain field (yellow or white) before Leonardo. It works i guess as it is really simple I think it works better with yellow :) . I think it looks a lot like the proposal of the rotterdam hearald proposal (below) except it also included flax flowers. I like the idea but knowing people in NI they are anything but simple :lol: so I am unsure what they would make of it. But I have to say I don't think the red hand has appeared on its own before? Even in the Ulster sheild it was companied by the red cross on gold on the Burkes (Norman Earls)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 03 Sep 2012 08:19

Taking the hexagon idea, how's this?:

nihex1.gif

I was wondering what background colour to use, but blue seems pretty neutral to me : it's used in both the British union flag and the Irish coat of arms, but is not particularly associated with either NI community (is it?).

I'll re-do the arms with a hexagon when I get home from work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 03 Sep 2012 13:19

I like it no blue isn't really associated with any community although I think both of them would associate with and use the colour.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 03 Sep 2012 20:45

Here's the UK arms and standard with a hexagon instead of star in the Northern Ireland arms:

new uk hex.gif

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 05 Sep 2012 23:29

The hexagon replacing the star works allot better than I thought, I thought it wouldn't have the same effect as the star in that design. But I am pleased to say I was wrong. I am not sure if the 'Royal arms' of N.Ireland should be used in the Civil flag unless the blue version is intended as the civil flag and the cross the 'government/royal' flag?

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 06 Sep 2012 17:15

When I did the hexagon, I forgot to redo the Northern Ireland arms! :-

new ni arms.gif

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 24 Oct 2012 00:02

This idea came to me as I was making a football supporters flag for me and my friends to use at the next Northern Ireland International game. Central to this is the IFA celtic cross design of a badge.
I thought it might be a good idea to base a flag on the celtic cross. The coat of arms I have here is a break from traditional heraldry, and it incorporates a lot of Northern Ireland Symbols. But the red hand celtic cross and laurel wreath are prominent. I liked Paul James idea of a flax, harp crest do I included that and the Cross of St Patrick. The text around the celtic Cross is both Irish and Ulster-Scots. The motto is Latin and translates as Peace and Progress.
The flag is a tricolour of blue, green, blue with white linage and these are traditional Irish colours and used in this way I think both communities can identify with them. A simplified version of the 'coat of arms' is also in the flag

I have also made a lot of badges and flags for other government organisations based on this see my blog
http://samsflags.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10 ... eland.html

PeteCollier

Postby PeteCollier » 22 Jan 2013 01:37

These are some of the ideas I came up with when thinking about this hot-potato issue. I was aiming for something simple but striking, symbolic, and idealogically neutral.

PeteCollier

Postby PeteCollier » 22 Jan 2013 01:39

A few more variations on my ideas.

PeteCollier

Postby PeteCollier » 22 Jan 2013 01:41

...and my final 3.

Return to “Europe”