Slovenian national flag

Discussions on flags used in Europe.
Desterniski

Slovenian national flag

Postby Desterniski » 19 Jan 2011 07:55

Republic of Slovenia is one of the very few countries of the world that can't use its own national flag. National flag of Slovenia is the same as internationally well established Russian flag. Therefore only slovenian state flag (a flag with the coat of arms) is internationally accepted slovenian flag. Because of that, many proposals to completely change slovenian heraldically and vexillology simbols, were called upon in the past (after 1991), but with no public success. Slovenians just wont give up their recognized historical colors in order white-blue-red. It seems for a while that Slovenia is for ever stuck with a national flag that is of no international use, but very recently (in december 2010) some political circles, supported with heraldic and vexillology experts, proposed vertical transformation of slovenian flag. Even more, according to recent legal thesis, Slovenia already have constitutional as well as historical basis to form both traditional horizontal and/or alternative vertical national flag. If the above mentioned legal thesis is correct and accepted, we could soon witness a birth of a new, but also historically approved Slovenian national flag, with same old historical slovenian colors and in same historically approved order: white-blue-red following vertically from left to right.

Just for the purpose of expert discussion on this forum I’m posting slovenian national and state flag, that are currently in use (under the slovenian Law on the flag, coat of arms and national anthem) and vertically transformed national and state flag, which are also constitutionally legitimate geometrical variations of slovenian flag.

Constitutionally legitimate geometrical variations of slovenian flag 1.png

Constitutionally legitimate geometrical variations of slovenian flag 2.png

Any expert comments on the matter would be deeply appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jerbez
Forum Staff

Re: Slovenian national flag

Postby jerbez » 19 Jan 2011 22:12

Though I don't consider myself as an 'expert', I agree with the idea of changing the stripes from horizontal to vertical. This simple change would make the Slovenian flag quite distintinctive while maintaining its identity and symbolism. The problem with the current flag is that it can be confused not only with Russia's, but with Slovakia's too, and this last confussion is still more embarrasing, since both country names are also very similar.
The only thing I would dare to point out is that, in the state flag, maybe the arms could look better if placed in the upper half of the white stripe, in a smaller size.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 20 Jan 2011 00:42

Thanks for this thought provoking item. I find myself in complete agreement with my friend Jerbez. Expanding the theme though, another alternative for the arms might be to incorporate them wholly as an intrinsic element. The arms are rather abstract and geometrical, by contrast with some traditional heraldic devices that do not serve well as flags, therefore I think they could be easily included in a manner that would lend further distinctiveness from other similar tribands. I have quickly mocked up the following illustrations (so excuse the crude rendtion and note the darker hue of blue used) to demonstrate my suggestion.

sloidea.jpg

sloidea.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vexilo on 20 Jan 2011 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

jerbez
Forum Staff

Postby jerbez » 20 Jan 2011 10:37

I like Vexilo's idea. Anyway, I put my own idea in a picture, and here it is:
sloprop.gif

And, since dreaming is free, here's a variation of Vexilo's proposal, with just the three stars:
sloprop2.gif

Desterniski

Postby Desterniski » 22 Jan 2011 08:58

Interesting comments and suggestions from bouth jerbez and vexilo, thank you also for generally agnolage vertical transformation of slovenian flag. I would like to ask you vexilo if you could made a gif waveing animation of also Vertically transformed national and state flag, that I posted. It would really mean a great deal.

I absolutely agree with jerbez; not only russian but also slovakian national flag are the same as slovenian, which is furthermore unaccepted.Therefore vertical transformation of slovenian flag make sense, especially because it's constitutionally legitimate – it legally exist as a valid constitutional option. But, there is no such constitutional option for the slovenian coat of arms. As heraldically criticized as it get, slovenian coat of arms is there to stay, because it's very detailed legally embedded in slovenian constitution, it can't be change in its appearance, differently positioned or modified in any way.

From the slovenian constitution: »The coat-of-arms of Slovenia has the form of a shield. In the middle of the shield, on a blue background, is a representation of Mount Triglav in white, under which there are two undulating blue lines symbolising the sea and rivers and above which there are three golden, six-pointed stars forming a downward-pointing triangle. The shield is bordered in red. It lies with one half in the white field and the other in the blue field.«.

Historical evolution of slovenian coat of arms.png

The only matter of discussion on the slovenian coat of arms could be its red borders. Constituton legally prescribe only left and right red border of the shield and doesn't allow uper red border as well. Missing upper red border is, among other things, most common critic about slovenian coat of arms. But in practice slovenian coat of arms is many time officially edit so that the upper red border (arch) is add. For example on the cover of slovenian passport there is slovenian coat of arms bordered on all three sides of the shield, which is, strictly legally, unconstitutional.

Official front page of slovenian passport in use.jpg

Yes dreaming indeed is free, therefore I hope with all my heart that slovenian historical dream of a new proud flag, will soon become a reality.

Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff

Postby Marcus Wendel » 22 Jan 2011 17:33

Thanks for the interesting suggestions in this thread.

/Marcus

Desterniski

Postby Desterniski » 25 Jan 2011 08:24

I'm also posting very rare historical regulation from 15th of August 1916, num. 5243-Mob. that legally confirm slovenian historical colors (white-blue-red) and their order from year 1848. Above mentioned regulation, from Austro-Hungarian Dual Monarchy period of slovenian history, do not prescribe how colors shuld be presented on the flag - horizontaly or verticaly. Therefore both options were always historicaly legitimate. Regulation is in slovenian and german language.

Regulation from 15th of August 1916, num. 5243-Mob. confirming slovenian colors and their order.png

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 25 Jan 2011 12:58

Hi Desterniski,

As requested herewith the waving gif images of the two designs you posted.

slovert1.gif

slovert2.gif

Desterniski

Postby Desterniski » 26 Jan 2011 06:32

Thank you very much vexilo :D for the excellent waving flags gif images. This is historical occasion indeed, because constitutionally and historically valid vertical slovenian flag waves at last. Hope it will proudly wave for real soon.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » 07 Feb 2011 23:42

I think the vertical state flag option (with the shield split between the blue/white) might work better if the shield were counterchanged:
slovenia-vertical-counterchanged.png

Alternately, right half of the shield border could be gold (to balance the counterchanged stars)

Return to “Europe”