A flag for Gael Great Britain

General discussions on flags and vexillology.
SadN3rd

A flag for Gael Great Britain

Postby SadN3rd » 28 Oct 2013 10:16

Hello. I'm new to this forum - although I do like the whole flags and heraldry thing. So, anyway - I was thinking about a flag for a Celtic countries (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Britanny - well, and England, although it isn't really Celtic) union, roughly speaking GB formed by the Irish. I really like alternate history, and well, figured - why not?
So, I was wondering whether you can help me design such a flag. I have no idea how would a plausible flag look like.
Thanks.

Sammy

Re: A flag for Gael Great Britain

Postby Sammy » 28 Oct 2013 18:06

There is a "Celtic Nations" flag used by people who identify with the ancient Celts:
celtic-nations-flag-4316-p.jpg

Apart from the central Trillium design this flag is rather unimaginative compared to the huge vairity of symbols associated with the Celts and the nations they came from.
Loving the alternate history idea of a British-Celtic Union I have some designs of my own. My first design was based on a previous proposal for a Welsh Union Flag. As this already included the crosses of Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland. For Brittany I used the Kroaz Du, a historical flag which is said to be the true flag of Brittany. The results below:
celtiv britain flag.png

However I made a separate design but with the cross of St Patrick running over the other crosses demonstrating a stronger Irish representation. I also added a trillium which is generally seen as today as the modern symbol of the Celts. The crosses of St George, David and the Brittany Black Cross are also counter changed.
celtic britain flag.png

My final flag is designed to represent the Celts as a whole rather than the countries they came from. So it has no national symbols, but has a gold Celtic Cross design, with the trillium on a counter changed blue and green field. I tried to reflect Celtic culture and identity in the colours I chose, although there is no real symbolism I attached to the individual colours.
celtic britain flag2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 29 Oct 2013 09:07

Trying to keep it simple (not easy with five or six peoples to represent), I've just come up with this ... it incorporates the treskilion effect, along with at least one colour from each of the Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Manx, Cornish and Breton (and English) flags.

celtic flag3s.png

Or with curved corners:

celtic flag4s.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 30 Oct 2013 09:06

This morning's efforts : all the Celtic colours, including yellow from the Welsh flag of St.David. I think they might be too fussy, though:

celtic flag8s.png

celtic flag10s.png

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 06 Nov 2013 18:34

some interesting designs, it isn't an easy to design a flag that would represent all the Celtic people

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 11 Nov 2013 11:58

There are some clever designs here. A Celtic Union flag was featured many years ago in "Flagmaster" the journal of the UK's Flag Institute. It is also included in a French language book on the flags of Britanny by Kervella and Bodlore-Penlaez,

Celtic Union.jpg

It is depicted amongst several similar pan Celtic flags including the often seen "Celtic Nations" one illustrated previously.

Celts.jpg

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 11 Nov 2013 17:21

I think I might have seen number 533 in the top left before, the bottom left is certainly used on some private pleasure boats at home, but I haven't seen any of the other designs before, some are very interesting.

Return to “Flags and vexillology in general”