Proposal for West Virginia

General discussions on flags and vexillology.
helme 12

Re: Proposal for West Virginia

Postby helme 12 » 24 Aug 2010 09:39

Is there a reason why it should be a 1:2 ratio? With a central device, perhaps would it work better 2:3 or 3:4?

csaanv

Postby csaanv » 26 Aug 2010 23:44

Hi Helme 12,
Actually the dimensions are 10:19 which are the same as the "official" USA flag. So I imagine it is a tribute to the national flag.

Obscureflag

Postby Obscureflag » 15 Sep 2010 14:48

I like the original state flag of West Virginia, but it could be altered slightly to make it more visually appealing. First, I'd take away the gold links around the miners image. Leave the laurel leaves as a frame. Second, move the state name to the bottom and take it out of the red ribbon, and make it a semi-circle under the central emblem. Leave the blue border as is around the perimeter.

grendelsbayne

Postby grendelsbayne » 21 Sep 2010 17:03

I actually liked the idea of keeping the laurels (WV's biggest point of pride is actually the beautiful nature there) so I tried a new version of my flag. With the laurels around the shield, the flag gained a little more weight and pomp that seemed to make the stars a little superfluous, so they're gone. I've got two sizes here I'm a little torn between, but I think I'm leaning toward the larger one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

celticflagboy

Postby celticflagboy » 18 Jun 2011 21:31

Any of these work better than the current flag. However, with regard to the proposals with the two stars..rather than putting them in the corners, I'd rather see them in the middle, on either side of the shield

Iloveflags

Postby Iloveflags » 17 Jul 2016 08:03

I'm very glad I found this thread! I spent some time in West Virginia as a child, so I have some emotional attachment to there.

Has anyone wrote a legislator / petitioned the government about changing a state flag to something better?

Return to “Flags and vexillology in general”