what is your Personal flag?

Discussions on non-geographical flags and flags used in fictional works.
Sammy

what is your Personal flag?

Postby Sammy » 30 Sep 2012 21:12

Hi I am thinking about making a post about personal flags on my blog at some point. Many people here have their own personal designs. If you would like your flag featured please post it here with your name and a brief description of the flag. I am thinking about laying it out with a picture of the flag name, country and description. something like the picture. I used my personal flag as an example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meinsauer

Re: what is your Personal flag?

Postby Meinsauer » 01 Oct 2012 02:14

FWIW, here is a work-in-progress attempt based on a coat of arms I am developing.

Name: (witheld for now)

Description: A Native American arrowhead, point down, edged in black, bisected horizontally 2/5 way up into a sky blue upper field and a dark green lower field. On the upper field, a Jerusalem Cross, colored copper, and partially obscured by three medium-green spruce trees rooted in the lower field. The above is on a flag with a plain light gray background.

Symbolism: The arrowhead represents the American West, where I have always lived. The Jerusalem Cross represents both the positive and negative roles that religion has played in my life. The copper color refers both to my hometown, which was a major producer of the metal, and to electricity, which has played an important role in my profession (electrical engineering). The green forefield and trees represent the Pacific Northwest, my current residence. The blue sky represents optimism (and looks better than the original gray sky which, while perhaps more appropriate, looks depressing). The gray background is merely the best color choice, no symbolic meaning.

As mentioned earlier, this is a work in progress, and may change. Suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Meinsauer on 01 Oct 2012 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 01 Oct 2012 04:32

It's easy: my profile photo.
pefi.png

A golden cross moline in a dark blue background. Being sincere, it has only one and clear meaning: the most beautiful flag I could use personally. The cross is for Christianism, not a real meaning for the choice of a "moline" model, except Aesthetic ones. Blue is my favorite color, and yellow combines goodly with it. Also, a golden cross is respectful in some way, for me.

That variant is used in digital or printed media. If I had a "bodily" flag, it will look like this (more contrasting):
pefi2.png

My previous personal flag was this:
cross.png

No meaning for the last. It was surrealistic: came to me within a dream :lol:.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Jens

Postby Jens » 01 Oct 2012 15:24

It's a really good looking flag you got there Leonardo 8-) .
A nice strait forward flag, and it makes me think of the 14. century settlers in Central and South America.
Cheers

Jens Voigt

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 02 Oct 2012 12:08

Thank you.

Actually, it looks more Olmec to me.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 02 Oct 2012 15:18

Meinsauer wrote:FWIW, here is a work-in-progress attempt based on a coat of arms I am developing.

Name: (witheld for now)

Description: A Native American arrowhead, point down, edged in black, bisected horizontally 2/5 way up into a sky blue upper field and a dark green lower field. On the upper field, a Jerusalem Cross, colored copper, and partially obscured by three medium-green spruce trees rooted in the lower field. The above is on a flag with a plain light gray background.

Symbolism: The arrowhead represents the American West, where I have always lived. The Jerusalem Cross represents both the positive and negative roles that religion has played in my life. The copper color refers both to my hometown, which was a major producer of the metal, and to electricity, which has played an important role in my profession (electrical engineering). The green forefield and trees represent the Pacific Northwest, my current residence. The blue sky represents optimism (and looks better than the original gray sky which, while perhaps more appropriate, looks depressing). The gray background is merely the best color choice, no symbolic meaning.

As mentioned earlier, this is a work in progress, and may change. Suggestions?

The shield shape is novel! A couple of reservations: the green-on-blue breaks the rule of tincture, and I've not heard of two different shades of green in heraldry (and if there were, one green on another would also break the rule of tincture).

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 03 Oct 2012 21:22

Paul James may I include your banner in my blog post?

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 04 Oct 2012 10:08

In response to a request I am including my personal flag here,

My Flag.jpg

This was conjured up as something of a stop gap because I didn't like having an empty flag icon in my forum posts but had never really been able to come up with a design that might be sufficiently representative. I thought a useful option might be something based on the flags of the two counties I have lived in, Middlesex and Kent; as the two flags both feature white charges on a red field, this seemed quite sound. The arrangement of the symbols came to me immediately and then I could not think of anything better and having received some positive reactions I descided to stick with it.

myflagwave.gif

jerbez
Forum Staff

Postby jerbez » 04 Oct 2012 15:12

With great pleasure, here's my personal flag:

personal_band.png

Blue, white and yellow are the colours of the flag of the Canary Islands, where I live. The three stars represent my wife and my two daughters.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 04 Oct 2012 17:54

Sammy wrote:Paul James may I include your banner in my blog post?

Yes, sure. Here's an image:

pjbanner.gif

It's a banner of the arms I devized. The colours are present in the flags of the three countries I've lived in (UK, USA and Canada). The blue and white bend represents the ocean separating the two continents, which I've crossed numerous times. A cinquefoil (not in these precise colours) appears in the arms of the city of my birth, where I went to university and where my parents met. It also represents the fact that I'm one of five children.

I think the blazon would be Per bend Argent and Gules, a bend per pend Azure and the First between two cinquefoils pierced counterchanged.

Return to “Other flags”