Family/Personal flags

Discussions on non-geographical flags and flags used in fictional works.
Eregrîn

Re: Family/Personal flags

Postby Eregrîn » 15 Apr 2014 02:48

PaulJames wrote:Other than the fact that the holly/spear device needs to be on a light background (yellow or white), by fimbriating or another shape, I think it really comes down to your choice. What colours do you want? Will it symbolize anything in particular?

Here's a few simple variants to be going on with:

holly-flag.png

Wow! Those are really nice ideas. Can I PM you some answers to your questions?

xotoxi

Postby xotoxi » 18 Apr 2014 23:09

PaulJames wrote:Other than the fact that the holly/spear device needs to be on a light background (yellow or white), by fimbriating or another shape, I think it really comes down to your choice. What colours do you want? Will it symbolize anything in particular?

Here's a few simple variants to be going on with:

holly-flag.png

I personally don't like the ones where the holly and spear are outlined in white or yellow.

The ones with the white or yellow circle are better, but not quite there.

I actually like the one with the yellow background the best. It is simple, which it how I think a flag should be. Similar to the New Mexico flag.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 02 Nov 2014 19:12

I am thinking of changing my personal flag to this:
gb_brwa.gif

It features the lion and flowers of my coat of arms, However the red and white saltires on a blue field, which attempts to combine the St Patrick's saltire with the St Andrew's Saltire. This is a heritage reference like the flowers. But blue is also my favourite colour, and the split red saltire is also a reference to railroad tracks, symbolising my other great interest. The gold circle also makes the saltire look like a Celtic cross thats been turned 45 degrees, a reference to the Northern Ireland football badge, which is also based on a Celtic Cross design.
I'd like to know what you guys think or if you have any suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 02 Nov 2014 22:56

I've never quite seen what purpose a personal flag would serve which a banner of arms doesn't. But, of course, this design could be a coat of arms ;)

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 03 Nov 2014 01:11

I've never quite seen what purpose a personal flag would serve which a banner of arms doesn't

Thats true, I was actually playing about and that was what I came up with, and decided I liked it. I hadn't really intended to change the arms, but your proposal is quite attractive.

False Dmitri

Postby False Dmitri » 03 Dec 2014 06:07

I may as well share mine. This is a banner of my arms, which are assumed but registered with one of the American outfits that does free registrations. There's honestly very little specific symbolism in the shield/flag design itself, though in the full arms the motto, crest, etc. have a bit more significance. Mostly I wanted something that was new and looked nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sammy

Postby Sammy » 25 Jul 2015 22:27

False Dmitri wrote: Mostly I wanted something that was new and looked nice.

Full marks there, that is a very interesting design, :thumbsup:

Return to “Other flags”