Is it time to change NZ's flag?

Discussions on flags used in Oceania.
jerbez
Forum Staff

Is it time to change NZ's flag?

Postby jerbez » 01 Nov 2011 11:24

More than two thirds of Kiwis are not happy with the national flag and say it's time for a change, according to a new poll.
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/184615/it-time-change-nzs-flag

GoldenWest

Re: Is it time to change NZ's flag?

Postby GoldenWest » 02 Dec 2011 17:11

no no no and no, i like the flag and what is Australia's and New Zealand's obsession with ruining ther flags?

all the proposed flags look like some corporate gimmick thing.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 10 Feb 2013 20:11

Although I agree with GoldenWest on many things in other threads I don't think that lightly defaced British ensigns are particularly good national flags. Canada really showed the way with this.

My idea was to use the famous silver fern emblem (using the Kyle Lockwood version of the fern as this is the most vexillographic/heraldic in style and most like the emblem used on the earliest NZ rugby shirts). The fern is also a nice reference to the Maori Koru symbol.

In the first two versions I've added a horizontal nebuly hoop as a reference the the 'land of the long white cloud' name - Aotearoa - with a sky blue hoop as well in one version to further that allusion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Philip S. Tibbetts

Postby Philip S. Tibbetts » 10 Feb 2013 20:14

In these two versions I repeat the colour schemes but I used straight hoops as a more abstract representation of the cloud if it is felt that the design/construction needs to be simpler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vexilo

Postby vexilo » 20 Feb 2013 15:27

A silver fern on a black background is certainly the most obvious option with regard to redesigning the New Zealand flag for all the reasons Philip outlines. Such a design can already be seen waved by sporting crowds particularly at rugby events. The "nebuly" allusion to the Maori name of the nation is a clever heraldic pun and is certainly a distinctive feature although as Philip indicates some might find it a little too complicated. I think the pattern works best with the lower segment of the flag in light blue.
Personally I would prefer the "koru" or fern to feature more prominently and would be inclined to see it larger in form.

If you head to http://www.flagsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1137 you'll see some of my own proposals for New Zealand and one form Leonardo for comparison.

PaulJames

Postby PaulJames » 21 Feb 2013 10:10

The simpler black and white design jumped out at me as an excellent flag the moment I saw it. I prefer it to the version with blue at the bottom.

Then, in response to the suggestion that the fern should be larger, I thought I'd try a bit of counter-changing:

nz.png

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 21 Feb 2013 14:43

PaulJames' proposal is very interesting, to me. I think a bigger fern could combine better with the blue bottom.
newzealand-pauljames-comment.png
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Smertios

Postby Smertios » 21 Feb 2013 19:47

GoldenWest wrote:all the proposed flags look like some corporate gimmick thing.

For the Australian designs, I agree. But the NZ proposals seem to be simple enough. Personally, I see no problem whatsoever with the Silver Fern Flag:

And except for changing the style of the silver fern itself, I find it unlikely that any other proposal would be accepted. Maybe with small modifications, like the wavy pattern that Philip S. Tibbetts proposed.

Leonardo Piccioni

Postby Leonardo Piccioni » 21 Feb 2013 23:10

I could easily agree with every fern except this:
Progress is good to every country, but, please, try not to put a trowel on your flag.
Visit my blogs about flags: Create/Recreate - Flags, etc. | Flag Review |Flags of U.S. States.
Visit the Vexillology Wiki, an initiative to propagate American and Canadian flag proposals.

Smertios

Postby Smertios » 21 Feb 2013 23:15

It looks more like a paper plane on a black background:

xD

Return to “Oceania”